Friday, April 12, 2013

Inaugural Post, reposted

Originally I had set up a blog on Tumblr, but I like the way that Blogspot works so much better. So this is the first post that I wrote a few weeks ago, imported to here, which will be my permanent blogging home.

My goal for this blog is mostly to be a jumping off point for my professional life. I graduate with my MFA in just four short months, and then…what? You’re welcome to find out with me.

There will be pop culture-ish mentionings throughout, as I like to stay tuned in, especially to books (obviously). I just attended AWP in Boston last month, which was a great conference, if a little overwhelming. 11,000 attendees with 600+ panels in three days. Yikes. But I got to see quite a few of my Stonecoast friends (my MFA program - links soon) and got to play in my old home city.

Recently, I finished reading The Inverted Forest by John Dalton. I find these things through places like EW, add them to my immensely long list, and then don’t remember what they’re about. This one, it turns out, was about a summer camp for the developmentally disabled, at which something ominously “tragic” almost happens and then there are repurcussions. I wanted it to be good. I tried to convince myself that it wasn’t going to go exactly how I thought it would.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t good and it did go exactly where I thought it would. There was a bit of a twist in the second part, but a twist gone horrible wrong. You know the kind - a serious monkey wrench that makes you question whether the author even knew what was going on. Unreliable narrators are great; unreliable authors are not.

So welcome! "Buckle your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy night."

Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment