Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I Love Boston

How do I say how unsettling and surreal it is to see the Boston bombings on the news? I used to live there. I can't count how many times I walked down that street, or rode the Green Line underneath Copley Square, or watched the marathon (though not from the finish line). I know that incidents like this are supposed to breed terror and fear and unease and all that, but it seems so unfathomable to me why someone would attack a road race of all things.

Of course, I'm also reading Columbine by Dave Cullen right now, which probably doesn't help. It's a fascinating book, and as someone who was in high school during the height of the school shooting trend and ensuing paranoia, I can relate to those students who were witnesses. (Obviously not Harris and Klebold. So far, they just seem like sociopaths. No sympathy from me for them at all.)

There used to be a theory that one huge, world-altering event happened every other decade or so: the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, the stock market crash in 1929, Pearl Harbor in 1941, JFK's assassination in 1963, the Challenger explosion in 1986, September 11th 2001 - but now it's almost like horrible tragedies are happening once a month. What gives?

Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment