Tuesday, May 7, 2013

When Sports Fans Become Tasteless, Classless Idiots

You got it - I'm talking about this guy:


(Photo linked from the USA Today story)

Really, dude?

I get it. You like your hockey team. I like my baseball team, as well. But "Boston Strong" has nothing to do with the Bruins. Or the Red Sox, or the Patriots, or the Celtics. It has to do with the fact that three people died in a horrific bomb attack on April 15th at the Boston Marathon.

Now, I am all for sports rivalries. I have to be - I'm a Red Sox fan. But when September 11th happened, the Red Sox honored the Yankees when baseball finally resumed (tried to find a link, but the Sox news archive doesn't go back that far). And when the marathon bombings happened, this is what they did in New York:


(Photo from the Atlantic's website)

That is how you stay classy.

Rivalries are great - they can make the game more fun. BU vs. BC, the Red Sox vs. the Yankees, the Patriots vs. the Colts/Jets/the rest of the NFL, the Giants vs. the Dodgers, hell the Army vs. the Navy.

But the slogan that was born out of healing from a vicious attack against innocent people being used to cheer on your sports team? That's just trashy and cruel.

There are some things that transcend a sports game. Bombings are one of them. That's what "Boston Strong" is about.

Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment